Big Fernyford Farm is located in open countryside on Reapsmoor, between Longnor and Warslow. The farm consists of farmhouse and traditional outbuildings (2 old cart sheds, large barn and pig sty) arranged around four sides of a central farmyard. The farmhouse dates back to the late 18th or possibly early 19th century, and there is evidence that some sort of dwelling was here as early as 1327 (see here).
The farm is 57 hectares and is rented from the Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA) and Natural England (NE), who are the joint owners. Neil has for many years worked to make huge improvements to the farm. The area closest to the farmhouse was still in need of restoration to its former glory. Therefore, with savings and assistance from LEADER and PDNPA, we decided to tackle these works and make them into a viable business opportunity for the long term future of the farm.
The building work started in August 2010. Neil (with support from Dorota) was project manager for the restoration and conversion of two buildings:
Traditional cart shed at the top of the yard to provide holiday cottage accommodation
Small traditional building at the entrance to Big Fernyford Farm to provide facilities for processing and packaging meat produced on the holding. The idea to develop a meat processing room has been considered for many years and the main driver for this project was to add value to the agricultural work that is done on the farm.
Big Fernyford Farm Diversification Project has been supported through LEADER in the Peak District Rural Action Zone, part of the Rural Development Programme for England, which is jointly funded by Defra and the European Union, and is delivered by Derbyshire Economic Partnership (DEP).
Big Fernyford Farm, Reapsmoor, Longnor, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 0NA
T : 01298 83422 | E : email@example.com
Thank you for visiting fernyford.co.uk - Copyright © 2020